Thursday, July 18, 2013

"Let Him Roll"

I suppose I'll write about our sleep study last month since we have received our results. The reason we even had this done is for a couple of reasons. First, I have noticed that Camden wakes himself up at night sometimes and does this weird gasp thing like he's trying to get air. It really isn't that bad, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry. Second, everything we do this year does not cost us a penny. We hit our out of pocket max a long time ago so anything I can get done before the year ends I want to do it. Third, it is recommended that little ones with Ds get sleep studies done before the age of three because a lot do have sleep apnea. He probably would have been just fine without one, but then I would have wondered about it constantly. I'm a little obsessive as you know.

The non sleep study was just terrible. I don't even know how they got enough data because it seemed like he did not sleep AT ALL! The whole process of setting up all the wires and leads took a couple of hours. They put electrodes all over his head using this gross sticky lead paste (that was fun to try and get out). Then they put some on his chin and neck to look for snoring. Then they put some on his chest, stomach and legs. All of that didn't seem to bother him too much. He was a little fussy, but not bad. When she started putting the straps around his chest and belly he started to throw a fit. They weren't tight, but I think they just irritated him. After that we gave him a break so I could feed him and try to get him to sleep. There was still the nasal cannula to put on but the tech wanted to wait until he was sleeping because we knew he would fight it. Once he fell asleep I put the cannula in. He immediately knew it was there. He tried everything he could to get it off. He finally calmed down and passed out so I tried to go to sleep since it was midnight at this point. I can't tell you how many times that tech had to come into the room to tape that darn cannula to his face because he kept pulling it out. She said that was the most tape she has ever used on a baby to keep it on. I think I slept about two hours when she finally came in and asked if I was ready to go. That was a big YES! I'm so glad to get that night behind us. The report basically said he has very mild sleep apnea, so all in all it was good news. I won't go over the specifics because it still confuses me to read it. At least it's done and he's good to go.

Poor little guy didn't know what was about to happen!

Finally asleep...before the nasal cannula.
He looks so stinkin cute!

"Let him roll."

That is what Richard said after I told him about the miserable night. He didn't mean it literally, he meant to just let the boy let him be a baby. He asked me if I could just stop and let things go. I needed to hear that. He is right. It's so hard for me because as his mom I want to protect him and do everything I can to help him. As a nurse, my mind goes into overdrive conjuring up every possible thing that could be wrong. I think I have decided to take Richard's advice and will try my hardest to not go looking for trouble that is not there. This year is going by way too fast and I don't want to miss any moments due to my obsessiveness. I know I have said this before, but I really am going to try this time.


1 comment:

  1. I wasted the first year of Russell's life waiting for the other shoe to drop. Waiting for all those medical issues to pop up. Treating him like a therapy project because I wanted the very best for him. Thinking more about "working" with him, than playing. Wasted. All that time. Richard is right, let that boy roll. Enjoy him :)